About the Scene Checklist

I recently started a new draft of a novel, and I'm trying a new approach with this round. I've always written through start to finish, and then edited the whole manuscript in one go, or in blocks of about three chapters.  This time, I want to make sure my scenes are working, to analyze a bit as I go.  I plan to use this checklist primarily as an editing tool.  Many other scene lists are designed to be used before the scene is written, and I've tried that and found that it doesn't work so well for me.  I need to discover what's going on as I write, and I prefer to write without looking over to double-check my preconceived plans as I type.

The scene checklist below is designed to catch some of my most common slip-ups, especially lack of tension and my tendency to rush through things too quickly. I looked at three scene checklists before writing this one:  The Big Twelve, a scene list from The Scriptorium, and another one I can't find the link for anymore, which was for film, more than novels.  Although my list incorporates a lot of the same elements, there's more emphasis on setting because I think that's what makes fantasy special as a genre.  

I feel that this draft is fundamentally different from the ones that have gone before, but then, I always feel that way at this stage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spanische Windtorte

Transatlantic Baby