Our trip to London: Getting there and away

As if we didn't have enough to do in our final weeks in Ireland, I decided that I wanted to fit in a bit of travel before we hit the road.  So, at 3:20 AM last Friday (over a week ago) Mike, Nova and I jogged to the bus stop to catch the citylink bus to Shannon, and the 6:30 AM Ryan Air flight to Stanstead.  

This was my first experience with Ryan Air, and I'd heard some pretty bad feedback. My main problem was the booking process. The online booking system automatically assigned us to the 06:30 flight. I clicked the option to select the early afternoon flight, for a few euro more.  I went on through the booking system. Lo and behold, at the end of it, I was still on the blasted 6:30.  I was not pleased. It took me four days to get back in to the booking system to change the reservation. Then they wanted to charge me 170 euro, more than the original ticket, to make the change. I decided that we would just have to suck up and take the 6:30.

So there we were, trotting to catch the bus, with Nova still mostly asleep. I'd had a good three hours' nap, and Mike had elected to blast through and not sleep at all. I'd packed some slightly squished strawberries to snack on. It had seemed like a good idea at the time. On the bus, Nova and I munched on a few.  As the bus pulled in to Shannon, Nova threw up all over both of us.  

Fortunately, I was prepared, with a clean shirt for myself and a fresh outfit for Nova.  I even had a spare carrier, but getting it out proved to be too much effort.  We arrived at Stanstead on time, made our way to the train, and discovered another  reason it might have been better to fly Aer Lingus: the train from Stanstead to London is ridiculously expensive.

Finding a cab to take us to my friends' house seemed more difficult than it should have been, but we were all pretty dazed and confused  at that point.  In addition, I was developing a queasy headache. I figured that it was just because I was tired, but a few hours after we arrived I found myself running to the toilet to empty my stomach. 

For the return trip, we didn't have to get out of bed until 5 AM, and no one threw up, but we were just as exhausted when we got home.  Getting there and back was a bit of a hassle, but totally worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spanische Windtorte

Transatlantic Baby