Sick days etc.

As with NaNoWriMo, my attempt at NaNoBloPoMo has been a bit uneven. I'm on day 11 and I think this is my 9th post. It's not that I don't have ideas, it's just that the day has been slipping away from me. I have all sorts of miscellaneous household stuff to do all the time, I have bits and pieces of paid work, and I like to keep up with the news, which is always incredibly distracting. Today I'm also achey and tired, probably fighting off the Thing That's Going Around. My son had it about a week ago, my nephew and niece have it, and my husband has also been feeling a bit under the weather. I'm not absolutely bedridden -- I did take the dog out for a walk, do laundry, and do grocery shopping -- but I spent a good part of the day lying around feeling like doing nothing at all.

So it seems like a good day to talk about what to do when you're feeling like crap, because being on the road to better health doesn't mean you'll never get sick, especially if you have lots of contact with other people and their germs.

You probably already know to get plenty of rest and fluids. I like hot ginger lemon when I've got something mild, and sometimes just because I feel like it (hot water poured over slices of fresh ginger and lemon, maybe with honey). Sometimes I just want to eat sugary things, and I don't think this really helps but I do it anyway. I like to read trashy books. Today I'm reading a sort-of romance with time travel in it. It's not a traditional time travel romance, but it's fitting the bill because its intellectual challenge level is set as close to zero as possible.

I'm hoping that by giving in to feeling crappy today I will avoid the worst of it. Because I'm excited about probiotics these days I went out and got myself a ginger kombucha, which was pretty good. I skipped my core strength exercises because a) I didn't feel like it and b) I've recently learned that strength building exercises are not recommended when you're sick. I did take a little walk, which felt good and will keep me from slipping into that awful sick insomnia, where your circadian rhythms get thrown off because you're in bed and not outside and the day and the night get to be altogether too similar, but when I'm really running a fever I generally don't try to walk.

What do you do on sick days?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spanische Windtorte

Transatlantic Baby