Diapers versus Screenplay, and more writing plans down the toilet

Writing with a baby is not impossible, but I've had an awfully hard time doing it.  It doesn't help that every time I turn around we need to make another trip across the Atlantic.  I don't want to get into the reasons here, just now, but next week we'll be flying back for another few weeks in the US.  Of course my parents will be happy to see Nova, and I'll be glad to see what friends I can, but I'm unhappy about hurrying off just when we were starting to get settled in.  

I had a script-writing project planned for the month of April, which got off to a flying start on the 1st and 2nd, then fell by the wayside.  I don't think I'll be able to do it now, my brain is just too scattered.  

Meanwhile I've picked up another baby-related project.  We're working at the limits of our current nappy supply, so I've decided to make some diaper/training pants.  I have since discovered a vast on-line community of diaper-makers.  I had no idea how complex diapers could get!  I read about all kinds of materials, bamboo, cotton, wool, microfiber, polyester, spun and knit and woven into drill, terry, velour, fleece, and more.  Then there's the form of the diaper itself, pull-up, snap-sides, velcro/aplix/touchtape, even tie-on, an all-in-one, two-in-one, with pocket, snap-in, or lie-in inserts, in every configuration and combination imaginable.   

Working out the spatial and technical questions of diapering is drawing me away from the screenplay, and it doesn't take nearly as much concentration.  I'm looking forward to going home and being able to use my fancy new Singer sewing machine on all the fancy fabrics I've ordered.  My current plan is to use Malden Mills fleece and breathable PUL for the outers (some of each, not both on the same diaper), bamboo fleece for the inner layer, and a pocket stuffed with flat cotton diapers.  

Now I just have to actually make the things!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spanische Windtorte

Transatlantic Baby