Creating a Home for Body, Soul, and Spirit by Bernadette Raichle

rating: 4 of 5 stars

I borrowed this book from the local Steiner playgroup. I've enjoyed the parent-toddler group, and have picked up a lot of ideas about education and childrearing from its Steiner/Waldorf based activities, but I've always been a bit uneasy about its philosophical underpinnings. Here, at last, was a book which was explicit about how Anthroposophy informs the operation of a daycare centre, and man, is there some whacky stuff in there! The anthroposophical jargon about creating a "penetrated" environment and the four sheafs (Physical, Etheric, Soul/Astral, and Ego) would turn off most people I know, but it does explain
why Waldorf kindergartens are organized the way they are.

I gave this book four stars because it was exactly what I was looking for, and because I think it is useful, but it is not particularly well-written. Some sections are less well-developed than others, and as I mentioned, the jargon can be off-putting. Still, there's a lot to reflect on in here, and despite the sometimes-goofy philosophical underpinnings I think that many of its recommendations are sound. I felt that the author did a good job of explaining the practices in her day care nursery without at any time insisting that it was the one right way. Instead, I felt that she was mostly urging caregivers and parents to be mindful and flexible in their approach to child care, and offering herself and her co-workers as an example of one way in which philosophy can inform practice.

I came away from this book thinking that yes, Anthroposophy is pretty goofy, but the practical application of those ideas has led to something useful and good, in creating a supportive environment for young children. I especially liked the structure suggested for creating a regular rhythm to the day, week, and year, and also maintaing order in the physical environment. That's all pretty basic stuff, but this book helped me reflect on it in a relaxed way.

View all my reviews.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spanische Windtorte

Transatlantic Baby