Making diapers for fun, not profit.

For the past month and a half, I have been obsessed with cloth diapers.  It started with what I thought was a simple idea:  I would make Nova some training pants, trim cloth diapers which could be pulled down or snapped closed.  I didn't even think about buying them, really, because the ones that were available ran about $15/pair, which seemed like too much.  Besides, I like researching random obscure information.

And so it came to pass that I fell through the rabbit hole into the strange and puzzling world of cloth diaper makers, as found on Mothering.com and in the Diaper Sewing Divas group.  Meanwhile, a woman I know here brought it to my attention that some people collect diapers, and will pay hundreds of dollars for a single diaper.  The current "hot diapers" are by a group called Good Mamas.  I've seen some, and frankly I don't understand what all the excitement is about.  Sure, they're nice, but not that nice.  

Meanwhile, I was making my own.  I looked at dozens of free patterns online, and even bought a pattern. I made a few testers from cheap material I found around here, reacquainting myself with the sewing machine.  I ordered enough fabric to make about two dozen, I thought.  As it turns out, I could probably make almost three dozen from the fabric I've bought, twice what I've made so far.  Here are some of the results:  


Each of the diapers has three snap settings, which you can see on the two in front.  This is supposed to mean that they'll fit Nova for the next year or so.  These are designed specifically for our situation: no tumble dryer, and practicing EC.  I didn't go for a whole lot of absorbency, because I intend to change her as soon as possible after she's wet, rather than going hours between changes.  The other big issue was drying, and I'm happy to say that they fit the bill.  They dry twice as fast as our old prefolds, and the bamboo/cotton "fleece" inner (a much thinner fabric than I'd expected) stays soft despite line drying.  

These are pocket diapers, so most of the absorbent material comes out for drying.  At the moment I'm mostly using our smaller prefolds and some birdseye flat diapers, cut in half.  Those dry in a flash.  They get stuffed through an opening on the front seam.

The diapers work quite well during the day, for excursions, but tend to leak at night.  I don't know if that's because Nova is lying down or because there's simply more fluid to deal with.  I think it has more to do with position, though, because the fleece ones seem to work better in that situation.  They haven't been pooped in yet, either, so I don't know how well they'll work with that.  

The picture above shows the diaper in action.  I need to take some better photos.

Several people, seeing these diapers, have suggested that I make them to sell.  I don't think I will, at least not in any serious way. I used to make pottery, so I feel that I've been there, done that when it comes to crafting as a business. I know how much needs to be invested, a hundred  dollars here, another hundred there, not to mention a few hundred hours before you regain your investment, if you're lucky.  I don't know how all the women making diapers for fun and profit justify their work, but for me, it could never be more than a hobby.  

Still, I love the design development aspect of it, and I still have some extra fabric, so if you have a diaper design challenge, call me!  

Comments

Unknown said…
They're brilliant, and an excellent idea. Nova looks so cute wearing them! Diddle tummy, wah!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Spanische Windtorte

Transatlantic Baby