Another Draft

The weekend before last I had my flood of inspiration, and for most of the past week I've been planning my next re-write of Scrapplings. I drafted this version of the story at the 1369 in November-December 2006, re-wrote it and edited it during the first half of 2007, then sent out 59 queries and submission packs as Nova got ready to be born. A steady stream of rejections trickled back to me, and some are still out there, unread and un-responded-to.  

As I sit down to write again I find myself hesitating.  What makes me think that this time will be different?  I've written, re-written, and pitched this novel, and the second one, so many times that it seems to be futile.  Earlier this year, I was thinking that the premise, the whole idea that my fantasy world was built on, was fundamentally un-salable. Now that I've seen the plot from a new angle, will it make any difference?  Should I really sacrifice all this time and energy for a story that has always let me down in the past?  Is last week's flood of optimism misplaced?

Then again, I don't really feel like I have any choice.  I have this book, this story, and I know it can be good, really good.  Even as it is, I think it's better than a lot of what's already published in the genre.  But I have to start. Yet again.  I wonder how long it will take this time, and if it will be different in the end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spanische Windtorte

Transatlantic Baby