Naptime

A few weeks ago, I resolved to write during Nova's naptimes.  She often naps for an hour or two in the morning, and sometimes for an hour or two in the afternoon, as well.  If she did nap for three hours, that would theoretically be three working hours in a day -- a perfect amount of time.

But today is like many other days.  I start off the day with my cup of tea and Nova amuses herself and practices standing and crawling for an hour or so while I make myself breakfast and perhaps check in with the world of the internet.  While she's nursing, I play scrabulous and surf around innumerable time-wasting sites devoted to the hippy fringe of parenting, or go off on a tangent and look at fabrics on-line. Sooner or later she nods off.  Some mornings it only takes 10 minutes of nursing until she nods off, this morning it was well over an hour (with a short interruption, when I thought she was asleep).

The real problem, though, is me.  Once she's safely settled in her slumbers, I get online again. I know better, but often I'm tired and unfocused.  Lactating can make a person pretty sleepy.  An hour of nap passes, and I've done some laundry, eaten my breakfast, and surveyed opinions on straight vs. angled straps on podegais.  No writing. When I finally open up Word, or even blogger, up she pops!  

I now have Nova wriggling in my lap, eating my watch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spanische Windtorte

Transatlantic Baby