I read another book!

I didn't manage to read to the end of two books in the month of June, as I'd resolved, but this morning I turned the last page of Writer Mama:  How to Raise a Writing Career Alongside Your Kids by Christina Katz.  Writer Mama is a pretty good book, a focused program for building a career as a non-fiction writer in whatever time you can snatch from the daily round of child-rearing and housekeeping.  It advises starting out small, with short articles and local publications, then building up to the better-paying markets and feature writing, followed by the possibility of a non-fiction book deal.  

I could do this, I really could. I know what to write, how to query, and where to send it.  The trouble with Chirstina Katz's program is that non-fiction doesn't really fire me up. I might write an article here and there, but I always feel like it's a distraction from my serious work, fiction. The trouble with fiction is that the career path of a novelist is formula-resistant.  Authors sometimes land book deals with lots of short story publications under their belts, but writing short stories and writing novels don't always go together.  

So, having formulated a plan to get myself started on freelance journalism, I am turning back to fiction.  Financially, it's probably a self-destructive impulse, but I can't be sure until I've done it all over again, the writing and rewriting, the critiques and query letters.  If I don't hit the mark this time, I might give it up.  I said that last year, too.  I'm starting to suspect that giving up on this fantasy fiction series is not in the cards.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spanische Windtorte

Transatlantic Baby